Our Better Cities & Regions Team drive long term change by supporting effective action on climate change, including a transition to a zero carbon and circular economy and the creation of climate resilient precincts and communities.
Better Cities & Regions
Our combination of skills, experience, design-led approach and suite of frameworks and tools enables us to provide advice for sustainable precincts, climate strategy and plans, sustainable policy and planning and sustainability program development and evaluation.
Our experience working for and within Government and the private sector along with drawing on the interdisciplinary expertise of HIP V. HYPE, ensures we are uniquely placed to help our clients and partners deliver on their sustainability ambitions.
Working with local and state governments and a range of other clients and partners, we develop policies, frameworks, tools and guidelines to promote more sustainable development outcomes at all levels of decision making.
Evidence-based guidance is critical for making informed, strategic, long-term decisions informed by the best available science and best practice.
We provide a range of technical advice, including working collaboratively with local government and other clients on evolving sustainability policy through the planning scheme.
- Built environment tool and framework development
- Evidence bases for planning policy
- Assessment of ESD aspects of planning applications
- Technical and development feasibility assessment
- Asset / Portfolio policies and guidelines
We work with state and local government, community, developers and other precinct scale stakeholders such as education institutions to develop contextually responsive and highly integrated sustainability solutions for urban renewal, suburban and regional development projects.
Working at scale, decisions are amplified in their impact, so robust decision making is critical to set up future business and residential communities for success. Our place-based approach to sustainability supports liveable, resilient, and connected communities.
Our precincts work can be delivered either as a standalone project or seamlessly integrated with other disciplines as part of broader precinct planning, design and delivery.
- Climate response planning
- Sustainability framework and strategy development
- Evidence base development for urban renewal and growth area planning
- Integrated precinct opportunities analysis and planning
- Climate adaptation plans
- Net zero strategy (including Climate Active precincts)
- Green Star Communities and One Planet certifications
We work with local governments, community groups and organisations to co-create organisation-wide and whole-of-community responses to climate change.
Drawing on the latest evidence, we seek to deeply understand the local context and environment, the specific risks and opportunities posed by climate change to ensure that the response is aligned with organisational and community priorities.
Our Strategy work can also be integrated with other municipal strategy development including Community Plans and Health and Wellbeing plans.
- Climate emergency response strategy and planning
- Corporate and community zero carbon plans
- Climate risk assessment and adaptation response planning
- Sustainability strategy
- Community and stakeholder engagement
- Implementation assistance
We work with clients to design, help implement, and evaluate sustainability and climate change programs within their own organisations, as well as programs targeting households, businesses and the broader community.
Drawing on our technical expertise, research, communication and facilitation skills along with our extensive networks of suppliers and delivery partners, we can provide end-to-end support for programs that capture attention, drive meaningful climate action and attract investment.
- Program design
- Program implementation advice and assistance
- Program evaluation
- Monitoring and evaluation planning
- Organisational climate response integration